When gums start to recede from the gum line, exposing the root of your tooth, it can make teeth more sensitive and susceptible to more damage. Gum recession in Lafayette, LA, usually indicates the presence of gum disease. People with gum disease may eventually lose their teeth
if they don’t seek proper treatment or properly address their oral health issues promptly.
Teeth may start to appear longer than usual, and a notch or dent may start to form around the gum line.
If you are noticing these signs and symptoms of gum recession in Lafayette, LA, schedule a consultation with Dr. James Finley as soon as possible so that he can recommend an appropriate plan of action and create a customized treatment plan just for you.
Treatment Options for Gum Recession
Dr. Finley may recommend surgery to repair the affected gum tissues. These procedures include:
• Pocket Depth Reduction
- Dr. James Finley from Lafayette, LA, folds back the damaged gum tissue affected by periodontal disease to remove harmful bacteria within the pockets. Once these pockets have been thoroughly cleaned, Dr. Finley will reattach the gum tissue to the surface of the teeth, reducing the depths of the pockets that can be breeding ground for debris and bacteria.
- Tissue and bone more than likely need to be restored if they have been affected by periodontal disease or gum recession in Lafayette, LA. Thus, Dr. Finley can regenerate tissue and bone by using regenerative material. The materials like graft tissue, membrane, stimulating protein, regenerates the tissue and natural bone in the damaged area
• Soft Tissue Graft
- This procedure involves taking tissue in the mouth and attaching it to the affected area using one of three different types of grafts: Pedicle Graft, Connective Tissue Graft, or Free Gingival Graft
• The Pinhole Surgical Technique (PST™)
- Dr. James Finley, a certified doctor of the new, minimally invasive procedure for treating gum recession in Lafayette, LA, uses the patented and special dental instruments to make a small pinhole opening in the affected gum tissue to move the underlying tissue to cover the affected gum line without sutures or cutting.
Preventing Gum Recession
What will help to prevent gum recession in Lafayette, LA? For one, take good care of your mouth and stick to good oral hygiene regimen. Some other preventive measures include:
• See your dentist regularly
• Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet
• Quit smoking or do not use tobacco products
• Use the right toothbrush such as soft-bristled or electric toothbrush
• Correct a misaligned bite or teeth grinding problems
• Brush your teeth properly, using the proper technique
• Monitor changes occurring in your mouth
If you are concerned about gum recession in Lafayette, LA, set up a consultation with Dr. James Finley today!